The following entry lists all the different services and plans available in Office 365 for businesses of all sizes (SMB or Enterprise). This entry then provides direct comparison and answers surrounding myths between Office 365 and G Suite.
Study shows that choosing the right tool fit for your business model and workflow boosts productivity and collaboration. Because of this, we have researched and written down all the data and factors you have to consider to help you decide which productivity suite best fits your business.
Available Plans for Office 365 and G Suite
To provide you a brief background, here are all available Office 365 plans:
Office 365 Business Plans (basic plans for up to 300 users)
- Office 365 Business Essentials
- Office 365 Business Premium
Office 365 Enterprise Plans (ideal for fast growing organizations with complex business needs and over 300 users)
- Office 365 E1
- Office 365 E3
- Office 365 E5
Microsoft 365 Enterprise Plans (your all-in-one plan featuring Windows 10 Pro + Office 365 and Enterprise Mobility + Security)
- Microsoft 365 E3
- Microsoft 365 E5
Here are all available G Suite plans:
- Basic (professional office suite with 30GB storage)
- Business (enhanced office suite with unlimited storage and archiving)
- Enterprise (premium office suite with advanced controls and capabilities)
The following is the pricing list for two different office suites as of 2018. All figures exclude all taxes.
Office 365 Business Plans
- Office 365 Business Essentials – $5/month
- Office 365 Business Premium – $12.50/month
Office Enterprise Plans
- Office 365 E1 – $8/month
- Office 365 E3 – $20/month
- Office 365 E5 – $35/month
Microsoft 365 Enterprise
- Microsoft 365 E3 – requires contacting sales
- Microsoft 365 E5 – requires contacting sales
- Basic – $3/month
- Business – $10/month
- Enterprise – $25/month
This table serves as a direct comparison list of available apps (both online and offline) between Office 365 and G Suite.
|Office 365||G Suite|
|Cloud Storage||30GB or 1TB per user||1TB OneDrive|
|Mobility and native apps||Google Docs
Gmail, Calendar, Keep
OneDrive for Business
Skype for Business
Office 365 Admin
|Groups and Communities||Google Groups
|Real-time messaging, screen sharing, voice calls||Hangouts||Skype for Business
The following table lays out all essentials features businesses need including security, mobility, compliance, and storage among others.
The winner for each category is based on data gathered from survey and research.
|Features||Office 365||G Suite||Winner|
|Information Protection||Office 365 provides Rights Management and Data Loss Protection.
Rights Management features are at an email/file level, so regardless of where they’re sent or stored, they’re covered.
Data Loss Protection capabilities cover not only email, but sites and files as well.
|G Suite provides Rights
Management and Data Loss Protection.
Rights Management features allow users to disable downloading,
printing and copying of any specific Google Drive file, provided it stays within the Google ecosystem.
Data Loss Protection covers Gmail only – to address sites or documents, Google customers would need a 3rd party service.
|Reliability & Scalability||Microsoft guarantees a service level agreement of 99.9% with its users.
On-Demand services are scalable, depending on your organization’s
|Google guarantees a service level agreement of 99.9% with its users.
On-Demand services are scalable, depending on your organization’s
|Cloud Storage||1 TB of online Cloud storage per user, regardless of the plan you choose.||30 GB of online Cloud storage per user for Basic accounts.
OR Unlimited storage for Business, Team or Enterprise accounts that have at least 5 users.
|Office 365 offers easy-to-use and familiar online versions of their popular apps like Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.||G Suite offers online versions of their popular apps, like Gmail, Hangouts, Drive, and Docs.
Many customers find G Suite’s web app
responsiveness and performance slightly superior to Office 365.
|Outlook and Outlook Web Access will allow you to access your mail offline using a wide variety of browsers,
including Google chrome, Firefox,
Safari, and Internet Explorer 10.
|Gmail will allow you to access your email offline, but only if you’re using a Google Chrome browser.||Office 365|
|Compliance||Office 365 provides auditing, document eDiscovery, archiving, and internal site search, as well as legal
Microsoft is dedicated to ensuring compliance from application, cloud, platform, to infrastructure.
|G Suite provides auditing, document eDiscovery, archiving,
and internal site search, as well as
legal hold capabilities.
|Productivity||Document views and user experiences are consistent, regardless of the device being used.
Documents can be accessed whether
the user is online or offline.
|Document views and user experiences are inconsistent, and
offline capabilities are limited.
G Suite does not allow you to share Office documents, unless they’re first converted to Google format (which can lead to formatting issues when converting).
|Mobile Apps||Mobile applications are available on
iOS and Android devices.
|Mobile applications are available on
iOS and Android devices.
|Security||Microsoft has state-of-the-art data centers, premium anti-spam and anti-virus protection (EMS), encrypted access to data, and integration with multi-factor authentication solutions, which are all included with advanced security measures.
In addition, Microsoft spends over $1 billion annually on security.
applications, meaning that data protection might not meet certain
industry regulations or business security requirements.
|Microsoft provides world-class security at their data centers.
|Google provides world-class security at their data centers.||On Par|
|Office 365 provides Advanced Threat Protection, which guards your devices from malware and viruses.
|IT Support||Office 365 provides web and phone support for critical issues.
|G Suite provides web and phone support for critical issues.||Office 365|
Source: Study and survey commissioned by ProserveIT
Myths and Misconceptions
A lot of myths and misconceptions have been going around when it comes to which productivity suite caters to most of the business needs. This section answers most of the questions and concerns.
- Modern Collaboration | Myth: G Suite is used for “we work”, Microsoft is for “me work”.
Fact: Office 365 fosters teamwork in an immersive, integrated environment.
- Co-author in real time using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, on the web or in the apps
- Manage revisions to collaborative documents with version history
- Manage the entire business workflow in Teams, a collaboration workspace designed for your department, staff group, and teams
- Receive comments and changes, including handwritten notes, on the go with notifications
- Mobility | Myth: Microsoft can’t match how G Suite users enjoy the same experience across different devices, operating systems, and browsers.
Fact: Enable employees to work from anywhere on almost any device.
- Access your documents anywhere as they roam with you
- Get the best mobile email client with Outlook
- Provide real-time feedback with instant messaging
- Share your device screen while working remotely
- Use Word, Excel, PowerPoint optimized for your phone and tablet
- Accessibility | Myth: Built-in features, accessibility APIs and services, and APIs for adaptive technologies make G Suite the most-inclusive cloud collaboration solution.
Fact: Controls, settings, and assistive technologies provide more ways to learn in an inclusive, diverse workplace.
- Inclusive design is integrated in Office engineering culture, and we keep creating new ways to enable employees to create, communicate and consume content from any device.
- Employees consume content independently with assistive technologies and ease of access settings.
- Go paperless with Office Lens and OneNote, now enhanced to support people with learning
or visual challenges.
- Intelligence | Myth: No one really needs all the advanced features of Office 365.
Fact: Office 365 is built on the Microsoft Graph, which uses machine learning to infuse intelligence into each application.
- Office 365 delivers powerful visualizations and insights to enrich the learning experience with Power BI and Excel
- Easily create amazing presentations with QuickStarter and Designer in PowerPoint.
- Visualize live or geographic data with new capabilities in Excel.
- Secure | Myth: Only Google offers customers the same highly-secure, reliable cloud services used to run its own operations.
Fact: We work hard to protect you by balancing privacy and innovation
- Microsoft has >10 years of cloud experience and makes strong commitments around safeguarding customer data, backed by a 99.9% uptime financially-backed SLA.
- Office 365 features such as Data Loss Prevention, and Message Encryption, which are available at no cost.
- Customer Lockbox provides unprecedented customer control over content residing in Office 365.
- Microsoft has privacy by design, with customer information used only to deliver services, not advertising.
- Microsoft has achieved compliance leadership in the industry by driving and adopting compliance standards in support of customers’ needs.
Deciding what is right for your business
The first question to ask is what does your business need?
The only differences of each plans are the capabilities your business requires – number of teams, protection scope, licensing options, and the forecasted industry and market growth.
It’s clear that all Office 365 offers tools, apps, and services enhance your company IT’s capabilities, HR’s management, Finance’s analytics, and C-levels’ decision making. Every aspect of Office 365 suite promotes teamwork, unlocks creativity, and provides a simple and safe experience for better business outcomes.
Collaboration suites, such as Office 365 enable your business to save time, money, and improve productivity. Unlock these benefits and enable everyone in your organization to collaborate and get more done with the most secure cloud productivity and communication platform only from Office 365.
Contact Tech One Global at email@example.com so our professionals can help you set up and get your business ROI rolling in!